Sunday, September 2, 2007

Ch.7-Green Urbanism

The main point of this chapter was to show examples of how cities in Europe have been implementing projects to make them more natural. Beatley draws on a variety of devices such as greenroofs, ecoparks, and greenwalls. This chapter made me think a lot about how these things could be done where I'm from (Fresno, CA). I know growing up I could have done with a bit more nature, and less cement. The idea of greenwalls really caught my attention since I can feel the effect they have here in Ithaca. Lots of buildings here are overrun with ivy, on campus, downtown, and even my own apartment. I suppose this example was even more impacting for me because Beatley brought up the fact that greenwalls also help reduce graffiti and this is definitely a problem in the neighborhood I grew up in. Fresno is a very hot place, only increased by the amount of roads, sidewalks, parking lots, and buildings. I think a place like this could benefit a lot from these European examples, I only wonder how in a place where it is so hot and water is already primarily used for agriculture we would find water to implement these ideas. I feel Beatley did not address the problems the US faces in trying to make such programs here a success, he merely comments on that we should mimic the Europeans.
Nature in the City chapter 2 was not my favorite reading. I'm still trying to figure out what was said that was new. Perhaps I'll figure this out by class, or during class. For now, the only topic I found interesting was the section where discrimination upon minorities was discussed.

No comments: