Monday, October 1, 2007

Ecocities - Chapter 5

As I sat down to read another chapter of Richard Register’s Ecocities, I quickly forgot that I was doing work and felt like I was just reading for enjoyment. His writing style is terrific and the manner in which he deals with the subject matter is well thought out, if slightly ethereal. It quickly became more apparent that it wasn’t only his first few chapters that encompassed grandiose ideals. If readers are looking for a roadmap on exactly how to build a green city, they may be disappointed, but if they want to understand the really important concepts that should sit at the core of any plan for an ecocity, Register pulls together some fabulous ideas in this area. Register paints a picture of future urban environments that are almost utopian. The skeptic in me is looking for major problems that would make the authors visions unrealistic, but I don’t see any insurmountable barriers. Of course there is the ever-present “change is bad” mindset that exists with nearly everything different, but though this force is strong it is also can change dramatically in a reasonably short period of time.

Consider for example this nations attitude toward protesting, and how that has changed over recent decades. In the 50’s protest considered un-American. This changed drastically in the 2 decades to come where protest was part of the earth-child’s birth right, but in recent times protest is again considered outside of the mainstream. It is difficult to imagine a time where protest will again be acceptable in today’s political climate, but it will.



One of the recurring themes that Register emphasizes as important in any ecocity or ecoburb is density. By bringing all of the amenities that we need/want into a close proximity we can shop, go to the movies, garden, swim, party all in a few city blocks. Of course for this plan to work, our cinemas and supermarkets, for example, would be smaller, and we would have to lose our “super-size me” cultural attitudes of bigger is better.

One area where I do disagree with Register is in the use of bridges as a truly practical means of transport between buildings. Perhaps in the densest of urban areas there may be a need, but Register’s image of 6 and 7 story buildings connected with multiple bridges (pg. 117) doesn’t seem to be necessary or practical, especially when streetscapes are free of cars. Minor point? Sure, but I had to disagree with something, or my praise wouldn’t seem credible.

Perhaps the greatest reason that Register’s writing is so enjoyable to read is that it is relatively free of the sour-grape type style of writing that focuses on what needs to change before real change can occur, and why things can’t be done. Instead, Register seems to be able to point to real world examples as inlets into his fantasy (for now) Ecoworld in a way that has me saying “Yeah, that actually seems possible”. And yes, I did just quote my own brain.

I do hope we can keep reading this book.

P.S. It appears that after reading some of the other posts Register does provide practical steps and concrete measures that should be taken in establishing a ecocity. I will suspend my charachterization of the author as completely etherial until I read on.

No comments: